A heatwave in the city requires more than a lolly from a passing ice cream van to cool us off. We’ve compiled a few ideas in the London Bridge area to help you escape the soaring temperatures this summer.
1. What feels better than walking in from the hot street to a lovely cool basement bar and a ordering a cold drink. Nine Lives on Holyrood Street, The Alexander Hay in Hay’s Galleria and Tower Bridge Arms on Tower Bridge Road all have cellar bars, while the Bermondsey Bierkeller is dug so deep into the old London Bridge arches that you feel deep underground.
2. As long as bar games don’t get you hot under the collar, Electric Shuffle is a wonderful cool space in the arches just off Bermondsey Street. Play a game while downing a Frozen Watermelon Sugar cocktail.
3. Watch the streets simmer from the Shangri-La London’s Sky Pool, the highest hotel infinity pool in Western Europe. Maybe take a ‘Daycation’ and spend the whole day cooling off in the clouds.
4. Floor 72 of The Shard is an open air viewing platform, so if you’re going to catch a breeze anywhere in London it will be up there! The View from The Shard has 360 degree views to enjoy with a glass of Moet in your hand.
5. Join the fastest fleet on the river and jump on an Uber Boat by Thames Clippers service from London Bridge City Pier. With a fully licenced bar and big comfy seats, you can use up a River Roamer ticket and stay on board all day long if you want!