Believe it or not, between 1930 and 1970 the Tower of London used to be just at popular for its beach as it was for it Tower.
Families would flock to the ‘seaside’ even dipping their toes in the ‘sea.’ Children would build sandcastles and eat ice cream whilst there was entertainment and deck chairs to rent.
Many of the families who went to the beach were from the East End and couldn’t afford to go to the seaside in holiday, and would regularly visit.
The beach was officially opened in 23 July, 1934 when King George V declared the area would remain free for the city’s children to use.
The beach closed during the war, but resumed in 1946. It wasn’t until the 1970’s that there were concerns over pollution in the river with the beach officially closing in 1971.
Image: Henry Grant